WHAT IS GOLD PLATED?
Plating is a process where a layer of gold is placed on to coat the surface of a metal such as Sterling Silver (.925). As the jewelry is not gold, extra care should be taken to maximize its lifespan. With extensive use, the layer of gold will eventually fade overtime revealing the sterling silver metal.
WHAT IS STERLING SILVER (.925)?
Sterling silver is one of the most commonly used metals in high-end and high-quality jewelry. Sterling silver is made almost completely from pure silver. Exactly 92.5% of the alloy must be silver, and the remaining 7.5% comes from other metals, most commonly copper. This slight addition of another metal gives silver strength and durability without affecting its gorgeous, white-gray appearance.
Luna Custom Jewelry only uses high quality sterling silver. Our chains are imported directly from Italy. Italian silver is known for its high-quality level of craftsmanship as well as its purity and quality. In fact, the Italian government ensures that every piece of Italian silver has a stamp before being exported to other countries. You'll be able to locate this stamp on all of our custom jewelry pieces.
HOW CAN I KEEP THE LUSTER OF MY GOLD PLATED JEWELRY?
To decrease the chances of fading out, here are easy ways on keeping the luster of your gold plated jewelry:
- Please avoid contact with moisture for all jewelry.
- Do not spray on perfume or other sprays while wearing your gold-plated jewelry. Your jewelry should be the last thing you put on when you leave your house! Wear your jewelry after you have sprayed on your perfume so that chemicals on the spray or perfume does not interact with your jewelry’s metal.
- Wait until your lotion or cream is dry or has been absorbed by your skin before you wear your gold plated bracelet or necklace.
- Substances like oil, nail polish, nail polish remover, tap water, chlorine, perfume, etc. may react with metal/plated jewelry and will cause it to tarnish easily. This also goes with sweat, so make sure you remove your gold plated jewelry when you exercise or anything that would require heavy physical work. Remove your gold plated jewelry before showering, swimming or when going to bed.
- Every after use, clean your plated jewelry with a cotton ball or a very soft cloth to remove any dust and dirt it has acquired. Gently rubbing the surface of your gold plated jewelry using a soft jewelry cloth helps restore shine.
- If your jewelry needs more cleaning you may clean it with warm, soapy water. Soak it for a few minutes and you may clean it with a soft brush. Stay away from jewelry cleaners and antibacterial soaps which may have certain components that will just make your gold plated jewelry tarnish more quickly.
- To avoid scratches, wrap your jewelry in a soft cloth after cleaning or keep it in a jewelry box separate from other types of jewelry you have. Small zip-locks work great.
- Store like items together. Do not store gold plating and silver plating together. The different metals will cause each other to tarnish, fade and/or turn colors. Have different storage places for different colors of metals like gold and rose gold. Store in a dry area.
WHY DOES STERLING SILVER TARNISH?
Every piece of silver jewelry develops a black coating on its surface after some time of wear. This black coating is referred to as "tarnish". This tarnish is a normal chemical reaction that occurs when silver comes into contact with air and various substances in our everyday life. Silver tarnish is a form of corrosion, but unlike rust, it fortunately does not destroy the underlying metal and can be removed relatively fast and easily. With every purchase, Luna Custom Jewelry provides you with a FREE jewelry polishing cloth so you can keep your jewelry pieces looking amazing all the time!
CAN YOU PREVENT STERLING SILVER FROM TARNISHING?
There is no way to completely protect your silver jewelry from tarnishing because silver reacts with so many materials found in our day to day lives. For instance, tarnishing can be accelerated by contact with tap water (because it contains chlorine), sweat, a number of acidic foods (e.g., lemon juice and vinegar), your perfume/lotions/make-up and even hair spray!
Tarnishing is a completely natural process, as a result, it will require you to clean the tarnished layer that develops from time to time. However, here are some tips on how to help slow down tarnishing on your silver jewelry pieces:
Clean your silver after every use and most especially at the first sign of tarnishing
Store your sterling silver jewelry in a cool, dark place away from sources of sunlight, heat and moisture. To reduce scratching and tarnishing, store your pieces individually in small zip-lock plastic bags, removing as much air as possible. You may also want to put a small strip of anti-tarnish paper in each bag with the jewelry.
Don’t leave silver jewelry in the bathroom unprotected, and do not wear it the shower, swimming pool or hot tub. Humidity and moisture can make tarnish appear faster!
After taking off your silver jewelry, clean it with a dry soft cloth, or polishing cloth, before putting it back into an airtight container. (Step-by-step video on how to use a polishing cloth to clean your silver
If the polishing cloth doesn’t remove all the tarnish, wash silver jewelry (without gemstones or pearls) in warm water with a few drops of mild dish washing liquid. Immerse the sterling silver in the water and gently hand wash. Use a cotton swab for tight corners, or soft baby toothbrush can be used for more abrasive cleaning if needed. If the jewelry contains gemstones or pearls, do not submerge the entire piece into water. Instead, use a cotton swab with mild dish washing liquid to wash only the silver. Thoroughly rinse your pieces after washing, and completely dry the sterling silver before storing, as moisture is one of the factors that contribute to tarnishing.
We do not recommend using toothpaste or baking soda for cleaning as it may scratch the surface of the silver. Do not use harsh chemicals such as bleach, acetone, etc, to clean your silver because they can make silver more dull, and ruin the surface.
WANT TO MAKE YOUR CUSTOM JEWELRY PIECES LOOK LIKE NEW AGAIN?
Luna Custom Jewelry provides FREE professional jewelry cleanings whenever you feel like your custom jewelry pieces need some shine again. Please email email@example.com with Free Jewelry Cleaning in the subject line for more information.